Bob Schwier on Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:55:14 -0400

[PLUG] hardware questions

I have two questions.
1.   Gateway 200xl at one point power supply went off and would not go on
again, then after pulling to check the fuse and blow the dust off after I
put it back in I got three long beeps on start up and no out put.  This
time the fan works and lights go on.  My book does not list that
particular audio error code.
2.   Remembering that the chips for personal computers were based on
designs for factory automation controllers, I want to rig a computer to
control a home security system with the added pleasure of a direct line to
check on the dogs by speaking at them to get them to bark.
Regular messeges should be shunted to a conventional answering machine and
punching in the proper code should enter the security system.
Seems possible.
bs