Ruse, Kevin KPSI on Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:47:06 -0400

RE: [PLUG] cable modem and MAC

If you worried about the cable modem caching the mac address, then you just
need to reset the cable modem everytime you switch machines. Most cable
modems have a reset switch or they reset after they are powercycled.

Kevin Ruse
Kvaerner Philadelphia Shipyard

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul [mailto:emailme@dpagin.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 2:23 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] cable modem and MAC

I just took Comcast's $20 per month for six months deal.  I bought the
Motorola modem (after spying the Lynksys modem).  Question is, as far as
Comcast grabbing my MAC address, is it critical to make my initial
connection with a router, or would it be OK to route through my
GNU/Linux PC until I switch to a router?