Paul on Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:32:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cable modem and MAC

Art Clemons wrote:

Paul:
>Good!  Thanks to you and all.  Looks like my GNU/Linux PC will become
>our new router/firewall/wireless access point.  Although I see routers
>for $30 or $40 dollars, that is expensive for me at this time, and I
>figure I can learn more by using iptables.

Since you are going to go this route, could you over the course of a few weeks detail what you're doing for a router. For example are you going to try something like Coyote Linux or are you just going to run a script on an already working box? I personally am intrigued by the concept of a one floppy setup system and have played with them but the NAT routers are fun. Of course tcpdumping the IP address was fun, and let me know that at least someone in my cable subnet was scanning ports.

I'm glad you asked this question. I need another NIC! I didn't realize it until I went to make a connection list.

I will be using my RedHat 9.0 PC as a router and workstation. Nothing unusual. Here's my initial arrangement:

modem
GNU/Linux PC
-- crossover cable to second PC
-- wireless card to wireless laptop