Paul on 18 Nov 2003 14:16:02 -0500

top-replies was Re: [PLUG] kernel parameters for memory usage?

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

Could I ask that you guys please NOT top-reply?

It makes it more difficult to follow the thread of the conversation
not easier, because one has to jump to the bottom of a message and
read backwards to find context. Rather, it's much more standard
Netiquette to quote only the portions of the original message to
which you're directly responding *before* your response, so the
reader can have exactly the context he needs present when reading.
Never mind the massive bandwidth waste caused by top-replies.

I've been thinking about reply formatting. I usually use the bottom-reply format with sparse quoting. I try to keep the quoted parts together unless it helps to break it up and respond to each piece. At the same time, it would be more convenient to /not/ have to scroll down to read a reply, especially after a lot of quoting. That's one reason I don't preach one style over another.