W. Chris Shank on 17 Dec 2003 18:51:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Win98 End of Life -> Lin98?

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 17:50, LeRoy Cressy wrote:

> Debian now fills up 11 CD's with Sarge.  You only need the first cd to
> do a remote install.  One of the selling points of Linux is the ability
> for you to provide remote upgrades to their system, along wi you
> providing all the support that they need.
>
> For instance one of my Windows clients is switching over to Linux for
> that very point.  When he needs assistance I can ssh to his network and
> work on his system.  I can also run his X apps on my system so I know
> what he is talking about.
>
> With windows there is no remote administration and instant fixes for the
> client.  Thus you are able to save your clients time and money by
> converting to Linux.
>
> With Debian you can make a heavy duty system with all of the bells and
> whistles like the kde desktop, or a minimum system firewall running on a
> p75 chip with 32M RAM.  the choice is yours.  I have an old P75 running
> as my mail server.
>
> I might upgrade it to a P300 that I grabbed from a box I found on trash day.
>
> Hope that you are sucessful with your clients.

The reason i look at distro specific option is because i may not want to
try to support a zillion different desktop configurations - not that
supporting a zillion different distros is that easy either - but at
least if there is specific distro - then i know that it might get
maintained by others and/or others may have solved similar issues that i
might encounter. and if it's commercial - maybe even pay for help if it
becomes necessary. it just may end up that it i create a "special"
configuration for win98 users - then I might package it - so that others
can benefit and help with maintenance.

A good example is the recent WBEL announcement. After redhat EOL'd (or
is that DOA) Red Hat Linux, I downloaded all the SRPMS for RHEL 3 -
thinking I would do this very thing, roll my own RHEL. I gave pause to
the notion because I wasn't sure that I would be able to really support
my own install. However, with WBEL there is a growing community - so now
I'm comfortable that I can help support it _and_ get help from the
community that forms around it. I'd like to see/do the same thing with
the Win98 replacement idea. Sure - it could be based on Debian, that's a
good choice. But more importantly is making sure others are
using/supporting the system as it's configured. So maybe a morphix fork
would do?

> Alex Birch wrote:
> >

> > W. Chris Shank wrote:
> >
> >> the question is- where can i get a distro that supports that?
> >>
> > Debian...  apt-get install fvwm95. I agree that you may want to get a
> > nice fast computer and then use the older computers as terminals. Then
> > the users can use the latest and greatest without suffering.
> >

> - --
> Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
>                         http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
>                         Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
>                         FAX:    215-535-4285
>
> gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA
>
> For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
> For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/
>
> Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
> no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
chris.shank@acetechgroup.com
http://www.acetechgroup.com