Alex Birch on 17 Dec 2003 20:49:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Win98 End of Life -> Lin98?

LeRoy Cressy wrote:

For instance one of my Windows clients is switching over to Linux for that very point. When he needs assistance I can ssh to his network and work on his system. I can also run his X apps on my system so I know what he is talking about.

It's good that he's switching to Linux, but why couldn't you do the same with VPN and Windows? What about VNC, you can use that with Windows. PC anywhere?

With windows there is no remote administration and instant fixes for the client. Thus you are able to save your clients time and money by converting to Linux.

Have you heard of Remote Desktop Connection? This is available with XP. I have to deal with it when my boss wants to some changes performed to our Windows 2000/2003 server and I'm at home.

What is missing with Windows is a nice command line interface, but longhorn is supposed to be incorporating this.