epike on 21 Jan 2004 15:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] more thoughts on usb flash drives

>From my old notes apparently here is where I got
the wiring from:

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January2001/article186.shtml

got hte parts from radio shack.  Also I drilled
some holes in the front face plate of my
PC case for which to put the buttons and
LEDs.

for the triggering program (when you press the button)
there is a program called "parsled"   (I lost
the website link but probably is linked from the original
website).  The parsled program has a configuration
file in which you tell it which program to launch.

I put parsled in the startup script, /etc/rc.d/rc.local
as in:

# JondZ Sat May 31 02:59:29 EDT 2003
# Pushbutton Serial LED for JondZ' USB Picture/Loader
echo Enabling Pushbutton Serial LED...
/www/picturealbum/scripts/bin/parsled /www/picturealbum/etc/parsled.conf

in parsled.conf I have the launch program as follows:
# In this version, parsled does NOT check whether the file is owned by
# user running parsled or indeed whether it is not world- or
# group-writable. Please take care. You have been warned.
COMMAND=/www/picturealbum/scripts/bin/picture_loader.tcsh | mail -s picloader jondz@madugas.org

lots of testing involved in wich LED button lights, how
much threshold you want (2 seconds to press), etc.  its
all in parsled.

the picture_loader progarm above just mounts the disk
and scans the mounted directory for JPG files, and
copies them somewhere else.  ONce the files are in
all things are possible--I have some morning cron
jobs that makes up icons and builds the website
for example.

Has been used for all things such as shutting down server,
burning cd-roms, etc.  There is also a parallel version.

PLS note that I did not think about this originally,
credit is due to the original authors who thought up the
wiring diagram and the parsled author who authored
the C program to trigger the script  (I dont know C).

e.pike