Art Clemons on 11 Jul 2004 00:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

>I didn't even think of looking for alternatives.  However, the issues
>with 911 and VoIP, more specifically Vonage, might be enough to keep me
>away from VoIP.

Packet8 apparently offers for an extra fee the opportunity to sign up for what they call an E911 which allows 911 calls to be routed properly. It of course can't work if power is lost or your broadband connection goes down. Still, someone with DSL or cable can probably afford to pay the cost of a phone line used just in emergencies and to be for example a listed phone number. You don't need extra features like call-waiting, call-forwarding or caller-id for said phone, nor do you need for example a metro-rate plan. I don't know what the minimum price for a phone line is but that's the entire cost necessary to deal with emergencies. I'm beginning to suspect that phone services are mostly going to be VOIP in a few years anyway, since the costs associated with providing the service are cheaper even for companies like Verizon.