gabriel rosenkoetter on 14 Jul 2004 00:02:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 05:36:07PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I won't even ask about GSM.

It's one of the several protocols for digital cell phones.

> I believe GPS chips are required in cell
> phones in Japan.  Anyway...  It would be great if GPS chips were only
> activated when 911 is dialed.  That would allow for privacy and the
> ability to get help.

Surely, you jest.

The cell providers probably *say* something exactly like that about
the GPS-equipped phones. But cell phones, even when unlocked from a
certain provider, are extensively under the control of the company
running the towers (who is assumed to be trusted in a lot of
unfortunate ways way beyond "sending unencrypted traffic over them).
If it's in their interest, or a government's interest, to use the
GPS chip to track you, they'll do it.

Avoid GPS equipment in any networked system that you carry but which
someone else has administrative access to. That access can and, it
should be assumed, will be abused.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net