Dan Crosta on 5 Aug 2004 21:19:06 -0000

Re: windows and X (was Re: [PLUG] putty)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Wow!  That's amazing!  I've been looking for something like that for a
> long time.  Little did I know cygwin already had an X server built
> right in.

Google 'startx.zip', and go to the Co-Linux download page (it's in the
first few results, usually). I forget who, but someobody packagged up the
X server from cygwin without all the rest.

fwiw, I haven't been able to get this running without also having a
fullish cygwin install also on my hard drive, but maybe your luck will be
better -- i suspect this is related to the startx stuff not properly
registering dlls or something windowsey like that. but at least this lets
you start an x server without having to also start the cygwin shell, so
one less button for your taskbar ;)

dsc