Jason Costomiris on 31 Dec 2004 13:56:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ...or upgrading? (was Tis the season for computer buying?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:14:15 -0800 (PST), DvB <imasu2003@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another option I'm considering is doing some selective
> upgrades. As some of you suggested, my computer
> currently does the job, albeit a little slower than a
> new machine would.

I used to be of that mind as well, but nowadays, it actually costs
more to buy the parts than it does to just buy the whole thing from
Dell..

> I'll probably go for a new 17" LCD-TFT monitor once I
> find a decent one that's affordable, but could use
> some suggestions on video cards. I've heard nVidia's
> work best despite the proprietary drivers. Anyone else
> care to comment? The ATI Rage 128 I had at my previous
> job worked fine with Debian, but I know next to
> nothing about newer cards.

I used to blow the Nvidia horn loud & long.. That being said,
nowadays, I go with ATI.  The Radeon line is really quite good, and
they have some fairly inexpensive options.  Even the Radeon 9800 Pro
with 128MB of RAM can be had for $150 or so.  It's been a long time
since I used Debian proper, but those cards should work fine with
Ubuntu or Fedora Core.

On the monitor front, Dell has some very nice 17" LCDs for around $300.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/