sean finney on 22 Jan 2005 21:55:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam Elimination

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:47:24PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:33:40PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> > it's an abuse of the smtp protocol, for starters.
>
> I disagree; it's completely within the protocol, and a clever hack to
> distinguish between fire-and-forget mailers and true store-and-forward
> mail servers.

it's definitely a clever hack, but i'd still argue that it's an abuse
of the protocol--you don't have to break a protocol to abuse it...

> While it does increase the resources required for a remote host to
> send me mail, it's hard to make the argument that it doubles load.
> The network overhead for example is tiny, as 4xxx temporarily failure
> messages are returned after the RCPT TO, well before the DATA segment.
> Additionally, only the first message for the <IP,sender,recipient>
> triplet is affected -- afterwards, the triplet is whitelisted.

okay, you called me out on an exaggeration, it doesn't double the total
overhead.  still, it's more than you suggest.

for example, if my mail server is sending mail to a server that implements
greylisting, i have to store the message in a temporary queue until my
mail server attempts to retry.  so, instead of the queue liftetime of a
message being a few seconds, it can become minutes or hours depending
on the mta.  if you have a busy mail server for a large user-base,
this is a huge impact on resources.

	sean