sean finney on 10 Feb 2005 18:23:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] file system problem

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:49:33AM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> >if you know the name of the file, you can get its inode and
> >dump/remove it with debugfs
> >
> May be a dumb question, but please explain inode.  (I'll read man page
> for debugfs, though.)

if you don't want to get too technical, inodes are *almost* the
same thing as files, and are a numerical identifier by
which low-level objects are organized on the filesystem (filenames
are internally translated into inodes by the OS).

you can get an inode with the "stat" command inside debugfs,
and with that (or maybe even with just the filename) you can dump out
the inode to a file on another filesystem, and then more comfortably
remove it.

> I don't think that is the case because the other partitions on the drive
> aren't having problems.  Also, when I ran (and ran and ran and ran,

could be, or could be that the problem is starting there...

	sean