Jeff Abrahamson on 13 Apr 2005 14:13:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mozilla/html question

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:13:31AM -0400, Jeff McAdams wrote:
>   [41 lines, 297 words, 1737 characters]  Top characters: etaoinls
>
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > The following page does not render properly for me in mozilla 1.7.5:
>
> >     http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~bel23/
>
> > I see overlapping text: the bottom contact info displays in partial
> > overlap with the bullet list.
>
> > I have seen this sort of error before with mozilla, so I would like to
> > submit a bug report, but I am unsure what to say besides the above.
> > It's also not worth submitting a bug report if this has been fixed in
> > later versions.
>
> > Can anyone help me make this more specific or tell me that it's fine
> > for them with a later version of mozilla?
>
> Before trying to report it as a bug in Mozilla, you should run it
> through the W3C's relevant validators...just HTML, in this case (no
> CSS).  I think you'll find that the page does not validate as valid HTML.
>
> Mozilla does do its best to try to render pages as best in can when
> they're not valid HTML, but, really, all bets are off.
>
> [...]

Thanks, all.  I was expecting a bit too much of mozilla, I suppose.
I'll let the issue drop, then.

BTW, it's not my page, so I can't actually fix it.  It was just
bothering me that mozilla couldn't display it properly.

Thanks again for reminding me that html has to be correct before I can
expect mozilla to display properly.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287