sean finney on 26 Oct 2005 11:32:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Recovery 2.5GB of deleted files

hi eugene,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 03:40:36PM -0400, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> > so... exactly what kind of data/how much data/how many files are we
> > talking about here?
>
> They are JPGs from 500kB to 3MB in size in I-dont-know-how-many files
> from 1.5 years of digital photography and 1 year of traditional
> photography converted to digital. I'd love to get them back, and am
> willing to put the work in, but it won't kill me if it's hopeless.

aha, well jpegs aren't too hard to find, fortunately, since they mostly
start with the same set of bits.  my knowledge of this subject in fact
deals largely with also having accidentally purged some jpeg images
on an ext3 partition (pictures of my mom, aww...).

at one point i had a c program laying around somewhere that i can't
seem to find now that basically does something like

open(file)
while(!eof(file))
	block++
	read_block(buffer)
	if(buffer_has_jpeg_header)
		printf("found image at block %d", block);

and then a simliar program (or some selective dd'ing) can resurrect
files from those blocks.  if you're proficient in c it wouldn't be
too hard to implement this.  or any other language, for that fact,
though personally i wouldn't trust most of them the way i trust
a well-written c program :)

i have to run out the door right now (hooray for gmt+1:00 time
difference), but i can look some more later if you don't have too much
luck with tct/lazarus et al[1], and even if i don't have it i'd be
willing to hack something back together because i'm sure i'll need
the tool again some day :)

	sean

[1] you may discover, as i did that tct/lazarus will only get you
    the previously-discussed first 12 blocks of the file, so larger
    images will require getting your hands dirty in any case.