Art Alexion on 11 Dec 2005 01:36:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] lm_sensors and fan speed

Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

>Hi Art:
>
>Please don't strip the lm-sensors list from the CC's.

Sorry, I am used to just hitting reply :-[

>>Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
>>

>>>Be more specific please.  Output from 'uname -a' will suffice.
>>>
>>>[I ask this because there has been a lot of w83627hf driver work recently -
>>>for 2.6 kernels this happens in mainline (as opposed to lm_sensors CVS).]
>>>

>* Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> [2005-12-09 13:36:48 -0500]:
>

>>2.6.10-6-386
>>

>OK, that's quite old as far as the relevant driver is concerned.  There are at
>least two patches since 2.6.12 that I think might solve it.  But you won't need
>to rebuild a kernel to find out.  Just add this line to /etc/modules.conf:
>
>	options w83627hf init=0
>
>Unfortunately, it will take a reboot for this to take effect.  (The driver
>already overwrote whatever BIOS inits were performed, the only way to get
>them back is to "run" the BIOS.)
>
>I suggest the init=0 module option because it will make your (older) version
>of the driver behave more like the default of the latest version - especially
>with respect to the two patches that I think might solve it.

OK. Done

>Or, you could just upgrade your kernel to something like 2.6.14 or later.
>

>Other questions: does 'sensors -s' appear anywhere in your init scripts?

yeah.  /etc/init.d/lm-sensors reads

    #!/bin/sh

    . /lib/lsb/init-functions

    [ -f /etc/default/rcS ] && . /etc/default/rcS
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
    PROGRAM=/usr/bin/sensors

    test -x $PROGRAM || exit 0

    case "$1" in
      start)
        log_begin_msg "Setting sensors limits..."
            if [ "$VERBOSE" = "no" ]; then
                /usr/bin/sensors -s > /dev/null 2>&1
                /usr/bin/sensors > /dev/null 2>&1
            else
                    /usr/bin/sensors -s
                    /usr/bin/sensors > /dev/null
            fi
        log_end_msg $?
        ;;
      stop)
        ;;
      force-reload|restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
      *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/sensors {start|stop|restart|force-reload}"
        exit 1
    esac

    exit 0

>Are you happy with the output of 'sensors', or do you want to dive into
>its config a bit to get better info?  If you're only interested in CPU
>temperature via some KDE program, then what you have is good enough.

The only other thing that I know I am interested in is displaying more
S.M.A.R.T. monitor info, which I think is a ksensors issue rather than
an lm_sensors issue.  That said, what other sorts of information is
available?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c