sean finney on 18 May 2006 16:35:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kubuntu and trashed passwords

hi folks,

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 04:30:13PM -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> On install I chose not to use shadow passwords, keeping everything the
> same as possible with what I'm familiar with (Debian).  Following

afaik, shadow passwords have been the default in debian for quite some time.

> Then, logged in as root, I used the KDE user user manager to add another
> user.  I got an error, I think it said that /etc/shadow was not
> available.  So I went to console and tried to add the user with adduser
> and it said that user already existed.

it sounds like the kde app is hard coded (or at least defaults) to
working with shadow passwords.

> Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.

then you shouldn't be posting it to a publicaclly archived list :p

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:57:01AM -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> But how do I get to kcontrol if I cannot login, under any user?  It
> couldn't be as simple as using a live cd to delete some file, could it?

- boot the system, appending the option init=/bin/sh
- when you get a root prompt, do mount -a
- you may also need to do mount -o remount,rw /
- fix your problem using cmdline tools
- umount -a
- mount -o remount,ro /
- run sync a couple times to be sure
- hit ctrl-d, and then hard-reboot your system when the kernel panics :)

	sean