sean finney on 6 Aug 2006 01:23:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] video players

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 06:46:07PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> >You might want to try VLC for video under linux, it's quite good.
>
> Doesn't automatically work with the videos I'm trying to watch; doesn't
> have the right codec.

i find this is often the case, which is too bad because i really like
the program.  it also comes on windows and os x, which is a bonus.  it'd
be really cool if there were a way to get vlc to work with an installed
w32codecs package, but i've never been able to figure that out.

mplayer(+w32codecs) usually plays the files that vlc can't, but
the code is really buggy and runs like a slug on less-than-modern
systems (especially w/out hardware acceleration).  the lack of an
official debian package is also sad, but that's as much debian's fault
as it is mplayer's.

i've tried a couple other players as well, though none come close to
either of the above.  i haven't even gotten totem to work on anything
at all (which was really annoying since it's the default player in ubuntu),
and kde's noatun did nothing but crash the last time i tried.

so in summary i use vlc for dvd's, vcd's and formats that i know
to work, and mplayer for anything else.  the mozilla-mplayer plugin
is also convenient for web browsing, though again the code is kinda
shoddy and not exactly full-featured.

	sean