gabriel rosenkoetter on 13 Oct 2006 00:47:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cname lookups

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:28:50PM -0400, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> UPenn owns 5 /16's. I don't know what they all are, but I know they own
> 5 of them. Drexel has 2 or 3 of them and Villanova has one. I'll bet
> other schools have some, too (e.g. MIT, Stanford, etc).

Hell, even li'l ol' Swarthmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr own a /16
apiece and, last I checked, were still doling out theoretically
globally-addressable (though, obviously, filtered) addresses to
each and every student, professor, staff, and lab PC.

I eagerly await the day someone catches a clue and just returns the
damn things to ARIN for reallocation. I mean, it's not like you
actually have to *pay* for them... YET. Nor like using them for
anything that doesn't need to be externally accessible (never mind
the things that do need to be but work fine through NAT) makes any
damn sense.

No, instead we have home ISPs doing double-NAT (once on their
network, once at the Cable/DSL modem/router they gave you), making
your Internet connection functionally read-only outside a session
you requested (not that this is a useful guard against compromise
of home PCs, of course), since they haven't a prayer at coming up
with enough IPs for even their comparatively small subscriber base.

Sigh...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net