Christopher M. Jones on 22 Nov 2006 01:45:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] obvious (?) k3b question

Hang in there. Here's the run-down:

The DVD hierarchy has .VOB, .INF, and some other ones, in directories
called video_ts and audio_ts. This hierarchy is what you need to write
to disk, using growisofs, k3b, etc.

The .VOB files are just mpeg2 video files. Try

	# file *.VOB

to see this.

So... I created a video with my camcorder, and I want to put it on dvd.
I need to create mpeg2 files, then I need to run them through dvdauthor,
which creates the filesystem. In other words, what goes in to dvdauthor
are mpegs, and what comes out are all the .VOB, .INF, etc. files, all in
a hierarchy ready to burn with k3b.

dvdauthor is a bit klunky, a bit hard to get working right, but once you
master the basics it works really well. I use qdvdauthor for my
frontend, so I don't have to mess directly with dvdauthor. Caveat:
qdvdauthor can be buggy, you may end up having to tweak the dvdauthor
control file at the end. That's OK, at least you don't have to start
from scratch.

BTW: this is the easy part ;-) The hard part is getting those original
video files into the appropriate mpeg2 format. This involves some black
magic with transcode, mencoder, avidemux, mplex, and friends.