jeff on 23 Nov 2006 02:16:23 -0000

[PLUG] oblivious k3b question

Christopher M. Jones wrote:
The DVD hierarchy has .VOB, .INF, and some other ones, in directories
called video_ts and audio_ts.

Pardon the interruption, but this bit of info took me about a month to locate, even using the Redmond Menace<tm>. Nothing I ran on either OS would output anything that any burner would burn to DVD. The software specifically labeled DVD converter wouldn't even give me a .VOB file.

Finally found a program that worked well for the conversion, but failed to burn, so I use a 2nd program for that. Unfortunately not on linux.

This hierarchy is what you need to write
to disk, using growisofs, k3b, etc.

ever so slightly cumbersome..... :)

dvdauthor is a bit klunky, a bit hard to get working right, but once you
master the basics it works really well. I use qdvdauthor for my
frontend, so I don't have to mess directly with dvdauthor.

will check that out - thanks.

BTW: this is the easy part ;-) The hard part is getting those original
video files into the appropriate mpeg2 format. This involves some black
magic with transcode, mencoder, avidemux, mplex, and friends.

sure, it's an mpeg2 file, but the audio is encoded in the wrong format, the video is in the wrong container, and the DVD won't fit that long a program on it.

On a related note, a coworker told me that divx players are becoming common in stores (I don't get out much). They play just about any format and seem to be replacing DVD players. If nothing else, it will save huge amounts of DVD real estate, not to mention the sweat and screaming caused by trying to convert the files to a burnable format...

-jeff