Art Alexion on 22 Nov 2006 17:01:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] obvious (?) k3b question

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 20:44, Christopher M. Jones wrote:
> Hang in there. Here's the run-down:
>
> The DVD hierarchy has .VOB, .INF, and some other ones, in directories
> called video_ts and audio_ts. This hierarchy is what you need to write
> to disk, using growisofs, k3b, etc.
>
> The .VOB files are just mpeg2 video files. Try
>
> 	# file *.VOB
>
> to see this.
>
> So... I created a video with my camcorder, and I want to put it on dvd.
> I need to create mpeg2 files, then I need to run them through dvdauthor,
> which creates the filesystem. In other words, what goes in to dvdauthor
> are mpegs, and what comes out are all the .VOB, .INF, etc. files, all in
> a hierarchy ready to burn with k3b.
>
> dvdauthor is a bit klunky, a bit hard to get working right, but once you
> master the basics it works really well. I use qdvdauthor for my
> frontend, so I don't have to mess directly with dvdauthor. Caveat:
> qdvdauthor can be buggy, you may end up having to tweak the dvdauthor
> control file at the end. That's OK, at least you don't have to start
> from scratch.
>
> BTW: this is the easy part ;-) The hard part is getting those original
> video files into the appropriate mpeg2 format. This involves some black
> magic with transcode, mencoder, avidemux, mplex, and friends.

Thanks.  I will try qdvdauthor.

No problem with mencoder.  konqueror has a nice group of service menus for it
and ffmpeg.  I suppose just renaming the resulting DVDNSTCwide.mpg to a .vob
and placing it into the structure that k3b presents when creating an new
video dvd isn't enough?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @