Shameel Arafin on 28 Feb 2007 23:06:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Evolution vs. Thunderbird

  • From: Shameel Arafin <algebraist@gmail.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Evolution vs. Thunderbird
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:05:21 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=VLayx3kiBnqNbvSTJ2WE97wToTsyBwwpY8LtG1C4kB69tZik0kos7ze+Y/oh2m21cD+5yZwDvl7e8Wlo1d0/h86THYnIbD1yRT9ddW5wH71xu1+HQ2EkqavrzzdKFeMyrLLCgdcpKPZ521GjDLhC0+mudymuqguMyAb1ONR5rQ0=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I don't want to start a typical KDE vs Gnome flame war, but I will say
that KDE has some great themes etc, and I think that after some
customization, you'll be able to set up a very attractive KDE desktop. I
like to think that I have.

And I was a GNOME snob for over a year :)

I'm running KDE on an old Dell Inspiron 8200, with a 1.4GHz Pentium and
1GB RAM, and an nVIDIA GeForce2Go, with a whole bunch of peripherals
plugged in (22" external monitor, drives, printer/scanner etc). I tend
to have close to a dozen desktop apps running at any time, as well as a
full LAMP stack. KDE handles everything quite nicely, and Kooka (KDE's
scanner software) is also quite nice. Gnome used to get quite sluggish
when I had too many apps open.

Anyway, this is completely off the subject of your initial mail :) Good
luck. I think the consensus on this list is that Thunderbird kicks
Evolution's butt.

S/