Mag Gam on 18 May 2007 16:19:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Long Commute?

  • From: "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Long Commute?
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:19:56 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Jason and All:

Thanks for the insight. This helps me a lot!
I will be traveling from North Delaware, about 2 mins away from PA border (Exit 1 off I-95).
I didn't know about the "PATH" service, and I should really consider that.

I still haven't commited to the job, since we didn't speak about the Financial details :-)

On 5/18/07, Jason < jcostom@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/17/07, Mag Gam < magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of:
> Commuting to 30th Street Station
> Take the R7 Train to Trenton
> Take a NJ Transit Train from Trenton to Penn Station

I live in Marlton, so I skip the Septa part.  I take NJT from Hamilton
to NY Penn (or occasionally Newark Penn) 2-3 days a week, typically.
It's not bad at all. Depending on where you live, you may find it
better to drive to Hamilton and take NJT from there.  Parking in
Trenton is $10/day, while it's $5/day in Hamilton.  Train time isn't
bad either, as long as you get an express (and during rush hours,
there are several).  Your garden variety express train will come out
of NYP, stop at Newark, Princeton Junction, Hamilton & Trenton.

Also, what part of town are you going to be working in?  If you're
downtown at all, get off at Newark and take the PATH over.  When I was
working out of 55 Broad St, I'd take the PATH to WTC, and take the 10
minute walk.  Hamilton to Newark is 40-45 minutes.  Add another 15 or
so to go to NYP.  Can't beat the travel time.

I buy 1-ways, and expense them typically (my office isn't in NY, but
my customers are), and I believe they're about $10 each way.  While
not the extra cushy Amtrak seats, it is 1/3 the price.  The seats are
fine, and I've only ever had to sit next to smelly people a couple of
times over the years.

I've been doing this a while now (7 years), and it's not bad.  Read or
sleep on the train, or browse over evdo.  Of course, be sure you
charge your mp3 player.

--j