Antony P Joseph on 16 Jun 2007 13:06:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

Hi
On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 00:59 -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, Antony P Joseph wrote:
> > If your applications are designed for vertical scaling(add more memory
> > and more CPU processing power), I do not think we have to use this
> > feature.
>
> My point is that there is no slowdown.  Turning this off will not make your
> machine any faster, it will only make it use more electricity for nothing.

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
        conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance

I just listed the available governors. "Performance" is governors which
always sets frequency to the maximum.

This feature looks like "hack" in "synchronous processors" to achieve
the power efficiency of "asynchronous processsors" by sacrificing
performance.

With regards
Antony