Chad Waters on 17 Jul 2007 16:02:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Redhat Flame : Can I save Money Running RedHat?

You're comparing the price of the 1 windows server CD and 1 license to
the yearly support contracts RH offers for its enterprise line.

Add MS support contracts, plus new licenses when you decide you need
Server 2008, plus whatever other application licenses you need...

-Chad

On 7/17/07, Sean C. Sheridan <scs@campusclients.com> wrote:
>Can you provide an apples to apples comparison?

Sure here's my scenario....

I ran 3 Dell Poweredge servers each with 4 CPU's.

Microsoft Solution
------------------
Comes with phone support, though I don't need it.
Available everywhere, I chose ebay, cost was:
New Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition & 25 CAL !!
Buy It Now        $999.00
Unlimited updates for the life of the product... FREE

(And you do not need terminal server licenses, you can always log 25 users
remotely into the machine.  A terminal server license is akin to using
eXceed to access your xWindows interface on your linux box).

RedHat Solution
$349x2 (4 cpu) per year
(no phone support)
-or-
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Standard Subscription
$799x2 (4 cpu) per year
-or-
JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
Standard Subscription $4,500 per year

It's really a no-brainer... Microsoft is cheaper due to mass distribution. If you want RedHat you'll be buying it (and their expensive updates) forever from them, and paying LIST price.

Read the following story and you'll understand why so many people feel screwed by Redhat. I will never again support RedHat due to their 180 degree turn where they chose to alienate 90% of their user base; a stupid business practice. If you choose to use their products, expect to be screwed (fair warning).

http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/11/03/1657205.shtml

> Sure RHEL is expensive

"The Bottom Line:
If you want to use an enterprise-level Linux distribution with the Red Hat
name on it, you are going to spend significant money.... "

To be clear... I didn't say "do not support Linux".  What I said was "do
NOT support redhat".  Linux is awesome and everyone should use it.  But,
RedHat's solution will cost you more or at least the same as the Microsoft
solution.  So much for saving money....

Sean C. Sheridan scs@CampusClients.com

Campus Party, Inc.
444 North Third St.