Mike Leone on 3 Aug 2007 02:45:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading Debian testing from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

Mike Leone wrote:
Stephen Gran wrote:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:38:29PM -0400, Mike Leone said:
Hopefully, when I reboot, and choose the new 2.6 kernel, it'll boot. If not, hopefully it will boot it the (running) 2.4.27. Will it, do you think?

So long as you haven't messed with the running kernel or it's initrd, you should be able to boot back into the running kernel and be no worse off.

Don't think I've done anything to the running kernel, or removed any initrd packages ...

For building a kernel with make-kpkg and so on: http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

I'm old school. :-) Downloaded the kernel source; did a make menuconfig; then make clean; make modules; make modules_install; make install. Edit grub boot menu; grub-update. Cross fingers; reboot. :-)

Since this is my mail server, I'll either be back on the list later tonight, or re-sub from a gmail address ...

(then again, I probably should try the kernel-pkg route ....)

And it all worked. Took a long while to go thru all the new options on 2.6 (forgot to include my NIC card the first time I compiled :-)), but I did get it to boot into 2.6.21 correctly. At that point, it was easy to do a "apt-get -f install" and finish the upgrade. Then I used aptitude to upgrade the other important bits (postfix, samba, etc).

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks

--
"a grotesque mixture of incompetence and sycophancy shielded by a genial personality"