Stephen Gran on 3 Aug 2007 10:13:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading Debian testing from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:45:23PM -0400, Mike Leone said:
> And it all worked. Took a long while to go thru all the new options on
> 2.6 (forgot to include my NIC card the first time I compiled :-)), but I
> did get it to boot into 2.6.21 correctly. At that point, it was easy to
> do a "apt-get -f install" and finish the upgrade. Then I used aptitude
> to upgrade the other important bits (postfix, samba, etc).
>
> Thanks for all the help!

Good to hear.  This is going to be a slightly painful transition for
users of testing, and we do (as a distro) need to find some way to make
it clearer that you must upgrade the kernel before more people get into
this situation.  If you, or other PLUGgers, have any ideas, I'll be
happy to forward them - I'm afraid our glibc team has a few members who
aren't always receptive to constructive criticism, but I'll happily yell
at them for people <g>.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | If it is a Miracle, any sort of         |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | evidence will answer, but if it is a    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Fact, proof is necessary.   -- Samuel   |
|                                | Clemens                                 |