zuzu on 5 Oct 2007 20:32:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:32:06 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=OsclBTU82BaxOtTatksVAORcElcAMx66YCA1Z9zIUHI=; b=bjQ//pcWQajwx8/82dk7cx9uj/NN2bhTPbF4UkEu62ACHrUNRLZ3yDX+1ihHbVsvV75MHcIwQDQZMFsyAyfOwHNpfSnZ0e9Lkey0vnSO7j01pYcxf3BcVCnuBxODwEqvlpWYi6JEI8eIre2MlBKDcA1HrrPeG5/qFF7GEe/f3mo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/5/07, Edward Smola <meanderis@mac.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info so far.  I'm quite interested in hearing all about
> your experience.  I really am thinking about getting one but haven't
> found enough usefull local feedback on how easy it is to get it
> working with SD.  I'd be interested in finding out all the channels
> you get.  Right now it's that or another pvr-500.
>
> Edward Smola

I have an HDHR that I use with EyeTV on OSX (Mac Mini as dedicated
HTPC) with Verizon FiOS.

It's awesome, the dual-tuner feature is a must-have if you share
living space with anyone else, although sometimes EyeTV takes control
of the currently open live window rather than the spare tuner to
record shows -- that can be annoying.  I dunno if MythTV has this
problem.

as I understand it, the HDHR just does an MPEG-2 TS to UDP
passthrough.  I'm all about "the network is the computer" and Linux on
embedded devices such as with DD-WRT on wireless access points (e.g.
Linksys WRT54GL) or Gentoo on Network Attached Storage (NAS) (e.g.
Linkstation Pro)

however, it is only an ATSC and QAM tuner, not an analog-to-digital
converter.  if you need the "analog hole" for your timeshifting, I
recommend the Canopus ADVC110 which does a simple RCA to DV conversion
(bi-directional).