gabriel rosenkoetter on 6 Oct 2007 07:15:39 -0000

Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

At 2007-10-05 21:59 -0400, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> addendum:  I think this is "popularly" known, but Verizon does block
> incoming Port 80.

I do not think that that is true across the board, even for FiOS. I
do expect that it applies to all "residential" lines (of any leased
speed), but if you would like to present data on port 80, you're
fundamentally unqualified (not over-: un-) for a "residential"
connection.

Go load http://eclipsed.net/ up. You just connected to port 80 on a
Verizon-provisioned IP address.

Do you mean that they block it for "residential" service? Maybe they
do, but maybe they just decided that was cheaper than dealing with
(a conservative) 10% of their subscribers' systems becoming zombies.

I don't like the fact that there are extra hoops one needs to jump
through to get an actual Internet connection in one's home these
days, but those hoops have large holes, are set low, and are
definitely not set afire. Just request "business" service.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net