Brent Saner on 10 Oct 2007 21:01:22 -0000

Re: Apple Remote Desktop (was Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question)

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: Apple Remote Desktop (was Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:01:14 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=23vB6J2moqLQa/pvkkCViOhsqyZ0E9TbM/LL7aRx4og=; b=o5JNBXxYYfs73ACrcWoX6rD97nTbsXc5Dupc/mj0bis4bfPyWCI+0MnLY/LGBSFXPXkM7sCpPmcepcomuCSNFCN5Q3CVWJrQPQxSMkiUc4PEw2wN4Yx89rl3CYdOA54nDWFMOXx/zrnoZ/oSRJ/9z3/2874IM3OZZ8ldZoSwguw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

wow. thanks everyone! that cleared up a lot for me and helped a lot; i've never owned a mac before so it's good to learn more.

On 10/10/07, Jason <jcostom@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/10/07, Brian Stempin < brian.stempin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From what I've gathered from the last job that I was actively administering
> OSX, Apple Remote Desktop nothing more than a glorified extension of VNC.
> IIRC, it even operates on the same port as VNC.  If you try connecting to it
> using a plain-old VNC client, you should get a prompt for a password, but
> then an error message after that.
>
> Take this with a huge grain of salt though, (a) it's been a while since I've
> done OSX administration, and (b) as you see, I have no sources for my VNC
> claim.

In the Sharing section of the Control panel, you can flip on VNC
access and specify a password, obviating the need for ARD.  ARD does
much more than VNC (deploys packages, asset management, etc.), but if
you just yearn for remote control, VNC's good enough, and yes, you can
stuff it inside the VPN or ssh tunnel of your choice..

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org