Eugene Smiley on 17 Oct 2007 21:14:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

Matt Mossholder wrote:

The solution is simple, use the SMTP relay server of your ISP
(Comcast, Verizon DSL, CavTel, etc.,.). That SMTP server has been
designed to accept mail from all customers, and will then relay the
message out to the internet - no longer suffering DUL spam scores,
etc.,.

Another more costly option is to use a service that will act as a mail relay for you (e.g. dyndns.org's MailHop service), rather than relying on your ISP.

The solution is even simpler. Use a MUA (Thunderbird, Kmail, Evolution, yada-yada...) that sends directly to the ISPs SMART HOST. I don't have to concern myself about potentially configuring myself as an open relay, while my wife can send mail from anywhere.

I receive my own mail, but rely on Comcasts SMTP servers for outgoing mail. I set my default outgoing SMTP server in Thunderbird to point to smtp.comcast.net and get immediate feedback if a message fails. Bounces get sent to my server.

The OP needs to get over it about setting up POP. It's harsh to say, I know, but setting up a user account and installing UW-IMAP/POP is the simplest install IN THE WORLD. I tried dovecot for a while, but every time the developers updated things they'd break the install which is never good for SAF (spouse approval factor). UW-IMAP is install and forget it. Nothing to configure. IT JUST WORKS (TM).

Personally if you can't set up a user account and UW-IMAP you have no business fussing with an MTA (Postfix, Exim, Qmail, Sendmail...)

I'm very happy with my Postfix with greylisting setup.