Stephen Gran on 25 Oct 2007 12:40:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT OSX Leopard v10.5

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 07:26:30AM -0400, Toby DiPasquale said:
> Apple is a hardware company, after all, not a software company.

Intel chips?

> Also, if Free Software cares so much about copyright, then its
> proponents can't really get upset when others enforce their own
> copyrights, as the GPL-bangers are just dying to get the chance to do
> one day.

I must be misunderstanding you.  You think that disliking copyrights
that restrict access to source code means that you can't be upset when
those same copyrights are enforced?  Does that make any sense?

Copyright is used in the GPL and other licenses to ensure continued
openness, not to restrict it.  But surely you must know that?

The point, I think, is that people on this list are at least nominally
interested in free software.  It seems a bit odd, from my point of view,
to then advocate piracy of some closed source software, because this
seems to indicate that there is a perception that closed source software
is somewhow desirable (or even on topic) here.  I hope I'm not alone in
my feeling that if we just keep on making our corner of the Universe a
little better, the closed software houses will fade into irrelevancy.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Reserve your abuse for your true        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | friends.   -- Larry Wall in             |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | <199712041852.KAA19364@wall.org>        |