Brent Saner on 27 Oct 2007 04:42:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... scripting

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... scripting
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:42:41 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=MMryxJ7i1pbb3/p8nT/E6doP6h3lMwaCyB3DbCq7UKE=; b=Erzycf2tFh9qe0XR21fRCM86WsMai1I3YL80KoVFf/Oy8p/pIM6r53ZWjy2hVcpDGYprteEhatE0A1m+SvNO+cHvtIM4+Insw4N4meNvLnq6x1T2DClXNZFSX91L1+dyMzFLTXmYc3Aj6/8BX8uL+3h7xqhLWnq/cci/fcymg+Q=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

hahaha. well, when you're ready to tackle scripting, let me know and i can let you know if a script looks good, help you out further.

also, on ##linux (on freenode), you can usually get criticism/advice/mockery for a bash script within 5 minutes or so. haha

On 10/27/07, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
Brent Saner wrote:
> oooh, you're about to pop your scripting cherry!

much like the other one, I prefer having someone else involved.

> don't worry, it's VERY non-scary. i feel pretty comfortable with it,

insight appreciated.

> and i'm
> the guy that can't write a line of code to save his life.

I once purchased a C++ book.  I got exactly two paragraphs into it and
my head exploded.....   (I got better)

I suspect that was a topic best gone over one-on-one, rather than reading.

>  can't do it. same thing with french.)

Is that like telling someone you can skin snakes?
(well, that's nice.... but why WOULD he?)

I once worked with a bunch of Indian contractors.  As we got to know
each other, I asked them if they had any good American jokes.  I'd never
heard any and I bet they're hilarious.

They had none, so I asked them what they DO have.  The first thing they
said was that they had French jokes.

I wonder what's more rare: American jokes or countries without French
jokes...

> there are a lot of really great texts out there for scripting. i MUST
> recommend "A Practical Guide to Linux: Commands, Editors, and Shell
> Programming" by Mark G. Sobell (of the Sobell publishing house, i believe),
> as well as "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash" by Ken O. Burtch.

oh great... now I have to invent "Scripting on MP3" to listen to instead
of podcasts.  Drive time just got that much more interesting. (Sorry,
officer, I kept getting my for-nexts mixed up with my do-whiles.)

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll definitely check them out (after
banging my head against the desk because I can't just figure it out as-is).

-=-=-
... Jeff for President - stop watching Americans Idle and vote, DAMMIT!

Brent Saner
215.264.0112 (cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org