jeff on 11 Nov 2007 16:54:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

Jason Costomiris wrote:
> Have you considered using gmail for this?  Gmail lets you pickup via POP

Never have.
Very good idea, though.  Convenient and accessible - everything I just
asked for :)

I'm going to investigate fetch or a similar program I read about last night.

[minor rant follows - not directed at Jason]

I just don't like gmail.  Something about keeping my mail on their
servers irks me.  It's like the world has become a humongous target
market (as opposed to MS, where the world is a beta tester).

> They also offer Google Apps for free, which is essentially Gmail+Google
> Docs+Gtalk+some other stuff, branded to the domain of your choice.

This is another thing I completely fail to get.  Why in the universe
would people want online apps?  I prefer to have everything where I can
access it.

Way back before there were online apps (last year?), I never heard a
single person say `gee, wouldn't it be great if all my apps were online
- that's the future!'  The only entity to eventually say this was Google
(and the hordes of press that repeat press releases verbatim).

Initially I only had to hear about it in relation to Windows.  Then it
crept onto desktops, after coming stock on Dell pc's (we use them at
work).  Recently they invaded linux, with their own bleedin'
repositories.  As if that weren't enough, they're now slowly seeping
onto PalmOS.  They're harder to avoid than MS :)

Now here we are, with Google leaking out every orifice, and I still
don't see the benefit.

[Confession: I do have a throwaway gmail account]

But what else do you expect from a guy who doesn't do IM, IE, 4cyl cars,
reality tv, or cheese on steaks?

-=-=-
... I'm not a tube snob, I'm a Thermionic Elitist