Eugene Smiley on 11 Nov 2007 18:50:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

jeff wrote:
They also offer Google Apps for free, which is essentially Gmail+Google
Docs+Gtalk+some other stuff, branded to the domain of your choice.

This is another thing I completely fail to get. Why in the universe would people want online apps? I prefer to have everything where I can access it.

Way back before there were online apps (last year?), I never heard a
single person say `gee, wouldn't it be great if all my apps were online
- that's the future!'  The only entity to eventually say this was Google
(and the hordes of press that repeat press releases verbatim).

Are you kidding? Microsoft was talking about subscription based online MS Word, Excel, etc. five years ago. Office 2007 was originally going to be web based. Seems that they got wise to the fact that people didn't seem too keen on the subscription part. This was during the whole licensing fiasco where everyone started screaming, "Rape!" and while MS was getting "beat up" in court.