Matthew Rosewarne on 22 Nov 2007 03:22:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The Amazon Kindle

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> Economics, people. Economics.

But... Apple _doesn't_ push non-DRM'd work.  Steve Jobs' press announcement
proclaiming that Apple was an anti-DRM crusader was essentially a cop-out,
playing the part of the victim, dragged kicking-and-screaming into making the
least-interoperable DRM on the market.  Jobs doesn't mention, however, the
trouble EMI had when it tried to get Apple to _not_ use DRM when selling its
tracks.  While a number of Apple's competitors did attempt offering DRM-free
tracks, Apple would have none of it and continued to apply DRM to everything
they sold.  The answer seems fairly obvious: Apple wants DRM as much or more
than the studios because they don't want their current customers to even
think about buying the next player from someone else, which they can't easily
prevent unless they use some kind of legally-enforced anti-copying
technology.

> +10000000000. I'm going on record as saying I already bought an eBook
> reader that displays PDFs. They call it an 'iPhone'.

I may be old for 23, but I would probably have a really hard time trying to
read for any kind of extended period on such a small screen.  I don't see any
real advantage to getting either device when I could instead have the free
phone from my carrier and a cheap laptop, which can do more (and usually more
conveniently) than any eBook, iPhone, aTrain, bHive, cSaw...

> Battery? Battery. Battery!

It's been a while since I've gone a week without an outlet, or even a day.  If
you're going to a place where you can't find an outlet, you'd be better off
bring a spiral notebook and a pen (as well as some non-perishable food, extra
fresh water, and maybe a sleeping bag).