Toby DiPasquale on 22 Nov 2007 15:15:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The Amazon Kindle

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:22:26PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> > Economics, people. Economics.
>
> But... Apple _doesn't_ push non-DRM'd work.  Steve Jobs' press announcement
> proclaiming that Apple was an anti-DRM crusader was essentially a cop-out,
> playing the part of the victim, dragged kicking-and-screaming into making the
> least-interoperable DRM on the market.  Jobs doesn't mention, however, the
> trouble EMI had when it tried to get Apple to _not_ use DRM when selling its
> tracks.  While a number of Apple's competitors did attempt offering DRM-free
> tracks, Apple would have none of it and continued to apply DRM to everything
> they sold.  The answer seems fairly obvious: Apple wants DRM as much or more
> than the studios because they don't want their current customers to even
> think about buying the next player from someone else, which they can't easily
> prevent unless they use some kind of legally-enforced anti-copying
> technology.

Please reread the previous email again but try to understand it this time.
Do you really think there's even a competition for MP3 players any longer?
The Zune was an abortion and you have to go out of your way to find
anything other than an iPod.

> > Battery? Battery. Battery!
>
> It's been a while since I've gone a week without an outlet, or even a day.  If
> you're going to a place where you can't find an outlet, you'd be better off
> bring a spiral notebook and a pen (as well as some non-perishable food, extra
> fresh water, and maybe a sleeping bag).

Wow, really? Its been a long time for you? No shit... You only live in the 5th
largest city in the US. What a miracle. In any case, who's talking about you?
You'd never buy one unless they plastered a KDE logo all over the back of
it.

--
Toby DiPasquale