Eric on 25 Nov 2007 21:36:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Poll! editors (and possibly me burning at the stake)

Brent Saner wrote:
> excellent summary, thanks for your input Eric!
> and i definitely laughed at the 2nd Con. haha
>
> so if i'm correct in my assumption, it'd be easier to make a jump from
> nano to vi, a bit more difficult to make the jump to vim, and more
> difficult than that to make the jump for emacs?
>
> i'm not really concerned about the difficulty, but i'm just curious
> about how complex they all are in comparison to each other.
>
> --
> Brent Saner

Brent:

I cannot say how easy it is to jump from your current editor to vi or emacs or
anything else because I've never used the editor you're using.  I found vi/vim
much easier than emacs but that's just for me and my desire to keep my fingers
on the "home row".

I'd really suggest you read an introductory tutorial for each and spend about a
week with each one.  Then you can judge the transitions for yourself and make a
semi-educated guess based on YOUR preferences.

Good luck!
Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas