Art Alexion on 26 Nov 2007 17:46:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: PLUG Political Party Poll

On Monday 26 November 2007 02:38:15 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> Also, those who take the bait are part of the problem too. ÂIf you know
> someone just posted something off-topic, don't post your equally off-topic
> reply to it on the list! ÂIf you're absolutely dying to reply to the post,
> reply to the author directly, not the whole list.
>
> It's not much to ask: just use your head, try not to annoy others. ÂThat
> way we can all have a good time.

I've been on this list for over 7 years now and one of the things I learned is
that when a question is asked and no one responds, it is because either (1)
no one knows the answer, or (2) no one else cares, or (3) both.  It's not
necessarily a bad question (a lot of those get answered) nor just missed (by
everyone? not likely).

So I agree with Matt that taking the bait is equally off topic.  Just like the
unanswered tech posts, if an OT post is ignored, it just goes away...

(by the way, I have some minimal curiosity about whether open source
supporters have identifiable political leanings AND I think it is no more OT
than discussions of commercial Mac OSX which I've never read anyone object
to.  Everything is political -- maybe not in the two-party, go vote sense,
but you are naÃve if you don't think conversations about OSS vs. proprietary
software aren't political)