Stephen Gran on 11 Dec 2007 15:19:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Full Time Linux/Infrastructure Systems Administrators (Midrange & Senior)

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 10:05:28AM -0500, System Admin said:
> This is insane, and rapidly degenerating to immature..  I'm posting
> here only because I want to find qualified people, not to be accused
> of being a spammer,  or participate in a childish flame war.
>
> As another user pointed out, my postings are local to PLUG, on topic,
> completely Linux specific, and of obvious benefit to the list.  I
> provide an email address which clearly identifies which company I work
> for.  The use of a generic address for applicants is not suspicious or
> foreign, as it is a common practice to have submissions routed to HR,
> a concerned business unit, and others.
>
> Smashing prospective employers or falsely labeling them as spam might
> be fun, but will only damage credibility, and discourage future
> employers from posting here.
>
> I picked up a couple good candidates from here, and I'd like to
> continue doing so.

Even though I'm not in the market for employment, I personally like
seeing job opportunities posted here.  I understand that some people
might have qualms about mails from addresses that appear anonymized, but
I don't think it's an issue in practice.  I encourage you to continue
posting job opportunities to this list, and I encourage people who have
qualms to think twice and investigate before making employers feel
unwelcome here.  Some of your fellow list members may suffer for your
actions.

Really, now that I read it over, that last part really boils down to
normal mailing list ettiquette.  Given the last few weeks on this list,
I think we could all use a refresher course in that area.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Nowlan's Theory:  He who hesitates is   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | not only lost, but several miles from   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | the next freeway exit.                  |