Eric on 13 Dec 2007 17:05:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Solution to unpleasant posting

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 14:41:24 Chad Waters wrote:
>> I've been subscribed to this list for well over 4 years and most of
>> the time I've found it extremely valuable. I've been ignoring this
>> list recently due to the increase of noise. Over the past few months
>> we've seen threads about:
>>
>> ... the appropriateness of mount command innuendo.
>> ... automatic vs manual transmissions.
>> ... political affiliations.
>> ... top posting vs bottom posting.
>> ... flaming of obviously legitimate job postings
>
> Chad's list ignores the elephant in the livingroom — off-topic threads about
> off-topic posts.  I have no intention of counting and measuring, but my hunch
> is that the biggest bandwidth wasters of late are threads like these where
> people bitch and counter-bitch about off-topic posts.  The angst
> over "post-appropriateness" seems to take (waste?) far more time than the
> off-topic threads themselves.
>
> I vote for Steve Gran's suggestion that serial offenders be addressed
> off-list.

This discussion just prompted a thought:  What about another PLUG list for OT
discussions?  That way, the existing list would be the "Signal" list and the new
list would be the "Noise" list.  PLUG-TALK?  PLUG-NOISE?

BTW I'd consider job postings as "Signal"

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#