Stephen Gran on 19 Jan 2008 15:52:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 06:26:46PM -0500, W. Chris Shank said:
> What confuses me is when nieve technophiles think it's such an easy
> thing to stick Linux in front of user and they are somehow going to
> thank you for making them learn all new shit. Put yourself in the
> shoes of the user for once. You can lead a horse to water, but it has
> to want to drink. If someone asks you to switch them - you should jump
> at the opportunity. But don't force it on them because you think you
> know what they need better than they do, even if it's true.

Please, there's no need to get your back up.  All I said was that even
when remaining firmly in the Windows camp, there are UI and toolset
changes, there are compatibility problems, and there are things that
don't work.  Given that, I don't see why smart people assume that a
different set of the same issues is such an insurmountable problem.
Frankly, I don't want to do desktop support, and hats off to you for
doing it.  But given that you are doing it, it seems in your best
interest to make your own life a little easier and use an OS that is
actually administerable.
|  Stephen Gran                  | I'm very old-fashioned.  I believe that |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | people should marry for life, like      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | pigeons and Catholics.   -- Woody Allen |