W. Chris Shank on 20 Jan 2008 12:41:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

yes vnc does work. The issue is how difficult it is to find the
solution. And as often is the case (from real experience), the fix is
incompatible or not available in the version of Linux you are using.

The need to do too many frequent upgrades has been one of my biggest
beefs with desktop Linux in commercial environments. Even with Ubuntu
- you really need to upgrade every 6 months, and there was a few
versions that you couldn't just do apt-get dist-upgrade to. And then
those that did work would often mess up the LDAP connections - which
compounded the issue.

On Jan 20, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Art Alexion wrote:

> On Saturday 19 January 2008 19:25:34 W. Chris Shank wrote:
>> Have you actually ever administered someone else's Linux desktop
>> remotely. It's not the same as a Linux server. You need to "see"
>> their
>> problem, just like on Windows. See how you feel after spending a half
>> day trying to get your clients new HP MFC to do network scanning in a
>> way that is even begins to approach what they were able to do with
>> Windows 98.
>>
>> Desktop Linux is no easier to administer than Desktop Windows. Both
>> are fairly straightforward if you spend the time to get things setup
>> right before it hits the users desk.
>
> I haven't used nx, but we do a lot of remote desktop administration
> on windows
> PCs with logmein and net magic, where we actually do see the
> desktop.  Is the
> same thing possible with nx or vnc?

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC