Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Jan 2008 12:45:50 -0800

Re: [PLUG] speaking of KDE4.....

On Sunday 20 January 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> I installed KDE 4, and to me, it feels and acts like a prettier gnome.  If
> I wanted gnome, I could just use gnome.  If I wanted pretty gnome, I could
> install compiz.

I've certainly used Nautilus and Dolphin, and I don't see them being very
similar at all.  Again: Konqueror is still there, Dolphin is the default not
because of some proclamation from on high, but because there were many users
who voiced concerns over Konqueror's complexity.  Also, the window
compositing is *off* by default and even if your distribution has changed
that, you can turn it off very easily.

> One thing I have noticed about good computer stuff, hard and soft, is that
> when I dip a toe in just to see what its like, I rarely go back to what I
> had used before, no matter how comfortable and familiar.  I installed KDE 4
> about a week ago have used it twice, for a total of a half hour, maybe,  I
> am hoping it gets better before KDE 3.x is dropped.

The 4.0 is NOT ready for most users, keep that in mind.  I myself will be
using 3.5.8 as my desktop until the 4.1 release, which will be able to
supplant 3.5.

It's just like how the Linux kernel 2.6.0 release was definitely not something
you would want to run on your machine, but was a necessary step to get to
where we are today.