Brent Saner on 20 Jan 2008 12:30:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

yup! the proprietary (free as in beer) NX is wayy more developed than freenx. but definitely do-able (and supports a lot more features than windows' RDP)

you can also VNC (but PLEASE for the sake of security, tunnel it over ssh or a vpn. please. VNC is incredibly insecure.)

On Jan 20, 2008 12:45 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Saturday 19 January 2008 19:25:34 W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Have you actually ever administered someone else's Linux desktop
> remotely. It's not the same as a Linux server. You need to "see" their
> problem, just like on Windows. See how you feel after spending a half
> day trying to get your clients new HP MFC to do network scanning in a
> way that is even begins to approach what they were able to do with
> Windows 98.
>
> Desktop Linux is no easier to administer than Desktop Windows. Both
> are fairly straightforward if you spend the time to get things setup
> right before it hits the users desk.

I haven't used nx, but we do a lot of remote desktop administration on windows
PCs with logmein and net magic, where we actually do see the desktop.  Is the
same thing possible with nx or vnc?

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.