Austin Murphy on 11 Apr 2008 08:03:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Lightweight X suggestions

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> Old Dell PowerEdge 300 server.  Installed ubuntu server.  Not quite sure what
>  the purpose will ultimately be, but want the option to administer it with
>  VNC, so I need to run X.
>
>  I used AfterStep years ago with RedHat 7 and that was OK.  Don't know if its
>  in the Ubuntu repos.  I know WindowMaker and xfce are.
>
>  I am more interested in the one that delivers better GUI admin tools while
>  keeping it as lightweight as possible.

I have been happy with Fluxbox for a long time.  It is very
lightweight, but still very functional.  In top on my system, it is
currently using 0.6 %MEM, less than most of my urxvt sessions.  You
can also set the theme/style to be very simple so it compresses well
over vnc.

I wonder though why you want to run X and vnc on your old server.  You
don't need X and vnc to see ubuntu's GUI admin apps remotely and X
will probably use more resources than the server's intended purpose.
Why bother? There are free X servers for windows
(http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) and for Mac OS X
(http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html).

Austin