Art Alexion on 9 Nov 2008 14:12:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Bulletproof X

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM, David A. Harding <dave@dtrt.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 03:59:37PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
>> Here is the relevant portion:
>
> I know your xorg.conf doesn't do what you want, but do changes to the
> Synaptics InputDevice section have any affect at all? I suspect your
> settings tell X to use the plain mouse driver and to receive extra
> events from the synaptics touchpad. If I'm correct, then the plain mouse
> driver is still processing your touch clicking even when after you
> disable it in the synaptics driver.
>
> I suggest you comment out all of the lines you pasted and add all of the
> following lines:
>
>    Section "InputDevice"
>      Driver        "synaptics"
>      Identifier    "touchpad"
>      Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
>      Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
>    #
>    # Following lines are optional thus commented in this example.
>    # Please read the synaptics(5) manpage for a detailed explanation
>    # of the various options' meaning as well as a full list of options
>    #
>    #  Option       "LeftEdge"      "1700"
>    #  Option       "RightEdge"     "5300"
>    #  Option       "TopEdge"       "1700"
>    #  Option       "BottomEdge"    "4200"
>    #  Option       "FingerLow"     "25"
>    #  Option       "FingerHigh"    "30"
>    #  Option       "MaxTapTime"    "180"
>    #  Option       "MaxTapMove"    "220"
>    #  Option       "VertScrollDelta" "100"
>    #  Option       "MinSpeed"      "0.06"
>    #  Option       "MaxSpeed"      "0.12"
>    #  Option       "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
>    #  Option       "SHMConfig"     "on"
>    #  Option       "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
>    EndSection
>
> If you don't have a server layout section, add the following option
> within the above section,
>
>    Option      "CorePointer"
>
> save the file and restart X.
>

> Otherwise, if you have a ServerLayout section, comment out the following
> two lines in that section,
>
>    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
>    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
>
> add the following line,
>
>    InputDevice    "touchpad"  "CorePointer"
>
> save the file and restart X.
>
> If either way works at all, you should be using just the Synaptics
> driver; now any changes to the touchpad input device section will affect
> how your touchpad works.
>
> Note: I didn't test the above changes (I don't have the hardware) and I
>      stole them from the following file on Debian Lenny which also
>      describes how to add an external mouse:
>
>        /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/README.Debian.gz
>
> I'd love to hear how it works out,
>
> -Dave
>
> Art's xorg.conf (selected examples):
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>>       Driver          "mouse"
>>       Option          "CorePointer"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>       Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>>       Driver          "synaptics"
> [...]

No luck.  When i made your changes, no ability to control the pointer
at all.  I then tried the instructions from this post:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=335393#p335393
but still no go.

I am about readey to take a wood burner to this touchpad and just use
an external mouse.  I makes me yearn for the days when I had a gateway
colorbook with a little trackball in a drawer.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface