Glenn Kelley on 1 Feb 2009 11:58:17 -0800

[PLUG] Comcast Extreme 50mbps/10 service Review

Greetings Group:

I have read some of the differing reports here regarding service w/
FIOS and others - and figured this review might help.

The Short Version:

True 45mbps down and 7mbps up for only $140/mo  DHCP only   http://www.speedtest.net/result/401911617.png
Technicians / Contractors / Customer Service Staff deserve no rewards
on this service however.

Long Version:

*note I used to work for Garden State Cablevision (now Comcast) but
left in March 2000

Internet via Cable has come a long way since docsis 1.x
Speeds now can give you well over 40mbps, however the customer service
level will always depend upon your cable provider.
Sadly, in the South Jersey Area, Comcast once again proves their
inability to not only understand the products they sell but the impact
to their customer when those products are not placed into their system
properly.

The saga started when Comcast was called to request an upgrade to
their new Extreme 50/10+mbps service.
While their website offered the service based upon the service address
in Magnolia NJ, many of the representatives spoken to did not even
know the product was released.
After 8 phone calls over a period of a few days - we were able to
confirm with representatives that service was available and a service
call was scheduled.

Almost immediately after the telephone call - both the Internet and
telephone service was disconnected from the account.
After numerous calls - and 6+ hours service was reestablished however
the new service call for the upgrade was terminated.

Now back to the fight yet again to request the upgrade of service....
Time now on the telephone with Comcast roughly 4 hours total.

Upon arrival the contractor hired by Comcast informed that he did not
have the proper equipment and stated another installation would need
to be scheduled.
When calling Comcast - Comcast representatives stated that an
additional service call would cost $25.

After mentioning the magic wording of "Notification to the NJ Board of
Public Utilities" in regards to the incompetence of Comcast - a second
technician was dispatched and arrived within 30 minutes.
The technician also did not have the proper docsis 3.0 device and
left.   The original tech then stated since there was not a Windows
Computer located in the home - service was not able to be established
as this was a requirement of service.
They also stated that use of a Firewall is "against the TOS / AUP" and
suggested the McAfee software be installed.

Failing to see how a simple installation of pfSense (a FreeBSD based
Free Firewall product) could cause an issue with their network or
suddenly have the magic of changing a Docsis 2 MTA to Docsis 3 another
call to the Comcast Support center was in order.

A 3rd technician was dispatched (also an outside contractor) who was
able to confirm that he also did not have the proper equipment.

Now 5 hours into the telephone queue with Comcast (dial 1 phone number
1 2 0 to get to an operator quickly) the representative informed us
that a Comcast Supervisor would return a call in regards to the matter
shortly.

Finally a real Comcast employee shows up to complete the installation
- with a Docsis 3 modem in hand...
Almost there - except.... this modem was from the Philadelphia Market
and unable to be used...

Alas - after waiting again - a 5th Comcast technician / supervisor
arrives with the proper equipment and within 5 minutes the
installation was complete.

Moving over to the cable side of the service - 2 DVR's were swapped
out and replaced with 2 cable boxes.
Suddenly all HD service had been disconnected and  On Demand no longer
worked.

Another telephone call to Comcast and we are told - I am sorry but I
think I know what the issue is... could you come in and swap out your
cable box?
Obliging - the short trek of 3 miles to the center is completed where
the representative informs the service rate is over $400 monthly for
what should have been $306 dollars

After painstakingly going over each service item on the account - and
verifying the rates are correct Comcast informs that in order for all
services to be completed it may take up to an additional 24 hours.

For a service call scheduled on a Friday between the hours of 2PM -
4PM. 5 technicians onsite - a trip to the local customer service
center - the DVR portion of service still does not work , one cable
box still is without service at all - and the telephone for the house
is still offline.
It has now been 48hours plus since the original service call and the
cable service is far from what it should be...

Amazingly enough the Internet Portion is solid - no doubt that is due
to folks like John Bonner being in charge -
As of Customer Service - if there was an award one could give made out
of dog-doo - Comcast deserves it.

If you work for Comcast - can you contact me offline to see how this
could all be corrected?    The certified letter to the NJBPU will be
mailed first thing on Monday Morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/401911617.png