Art Alexion on 1 Feb 2009 12:28:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New OS Major Versions

On Sunday 01 February 2009 14:15:42 Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> [...]

Brian,

In trimming Jeff's quote, you missed the point.  Nobody expects anything to be
perfect the first try, whether it is a cake, a car, or a "desktop
environment".

jeff wrote:
> How can they call something a release with results like this?

It is OK that it is a work in progress.  The problem is that it is being
foisted on the users as if it was stable and functional.  We are now up to
a .2 release and many basic and important things still don't work.  I just
read a post that said "should be fixed in 4.3"  What!?  Next we'll hear "wait
for 4.4".  By the time this works, if the project survives, we'll be testing
KDE 5.

At least Gnome is due for a facelift this year.

If only gnome had the configurability of KDE 3, and KDE 4 had the stability of
gnome, we'd have two good choices.

And this is nothing like Vista.  Vista is still a pig (with or without
lipstick).[1]  KDE 4 is not a pig.  It just doesn't work.

[1] Reported Vista sales are misleading.  First, consumers of most PC vendors
don't have a choice.  Second, my office buys Dell.  All of our new Dells come
with XP.  But in order to get XP, we have to buy a Vista license.  So MS gets
to say they sold us Vista, even if it never sees the circuit of any of our
computers.